Saturday, September 26, 2009

Incompetencies Pet Peeves and Time Wasters

Time to pick up a prescription this fine Saturday morning. And the Expedition (of course we drive an SUV) is missing on one cylinder with a "Service Engine" light on. I think it's a coil pack. So I head to town and go to Walgreen's first, pulling into the drive through. I push the call button and a disembodied voice says, "I'LL BE RIGHT WITH YOU!!!!!" Soon the box shows up, I stick in the prescription and tell the now embodied voice through a window that I'll be back in about 20-30 minutes. She tells me she'll need 30 minutes to put the 36 pills in a bottle. So I go across the street to Advance Auto and ask them, in accordance with their ads, if they can plug in a scanner and tell me what the computer says. The counterman follows me out and plugs in - looks at his scanner and says - paraphrasing only a little - "Dude - there's something wrong with your scanner outlet - maybe a wire's broken....you can probably just pull all the wires off each coil pack until you find the dead one - but I can't help you." There are eight coil packs on this engine - all buried under all kinds of hoses, pipings, and fuel rails. I say thanks and go across another street to AutoZone, thinking maybe the Advance Auto's scanner is broken. Tattooed man asks me what I need - we follow the same procedure and he says, "Dude, you may have a fuse out.....I can't help you". I say thanks, get in the truck and call DWSO. "Can you find out which fuse controls the scanner outlet on this truck?" Computer keys click - BING is your friend - "It's the number 3 fuse, 20 amp". I reach under the dash, pull out number 3 and yup - it's blown. I go back to Advance Auto since I'm on that side of the street and tell counterman I need a 20 amp fuse. He sells me a pack of fuses (OK - spares) I plug it in and he plugs in the scanner - number four cylinder is missing - he sells me a coil pack for $49.95 and I hope that's the problem. By now an hour and 15 minutes have passed. You didn't forget Walgreen's did you?

I go back there and discover 15 people in line - a very slow moving line - but they're not directly at the pharmacy - they're all getting flu shots. About 5 minutes per person. I step around to the pickup window and ask for my prescription - and the young lady who had taken it earlier and promised 30 minutes - - - well, you know the rest. Not ready. Won't BE ready until the pharmacist finishes with the flu shots. How long? Not long....15 minutes maybe....I ask her to look at the line - it's growing - no way 15 minutes. Well sir, you'll just have to wait!!!!!

How about if you just let me have the prescription back? And she pulls out a STACK of prescriptions - at least 15-20 - none of which have been filled.

I started going to Walgreens when they opened here in town because they beat Walmart pharmacy for service. It looks like those days are over - on now to CVS - oh and "Dudes" at Advance and Autozone - I should have gone to NAPA for the coil pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment